Thanks to a generous bequest to the Williamsburg Community Foundation, the Perisie Scholarship in Memory of James P. and H. Bihin Perisie will provide for one scholarship each year for a female student to attend medical school in Virginia or North Carolina. Learn more about the Perisie’s here.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Must be a female student
- Must have resided for a minimum of five (5) years in the service area, either before graduating high school, or after graduating college. The service area includes, James City County, York County, City of Williamsburg, New Kent County , Charles City County
- Must be accepted by and will attend a medical school in Virginia or North Carolina.
- Must be for M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) or D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) programs only.
- Must have the objective to become a general practitioner in the service area as defined above.
- Must maintain full-time enrollment in the medical school for which they are awarded a scholarship until the program is completed.
- Must maintain good academic standing as defined by the institution’s academic policies, while enrolled in the scholarship-supported medical school program.
- Demonstrated financial need may be considered, but is not required.
What does the scholarship include?
- Tuition, room, board and associated costs
- Scholarship is renewable up to four (4) years if the student maintains good academic standing
- One scholarship will be provided per year, valued at up to approximately $64,000. The Perisie Scholarship should not displace other scholarships or grants, so the yearly value may be less if the student is also receiving other scholarships or grants. WCF will work with the school’s financial aid office to ensure the student gets the most aid possible.
What information do I need to start my scholarship application?
- A certified copy of your transcript from your undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) institution.
- MCAT score
- Student Aid Report from your FAFSA (or estimated information).
- Name and contact information for one person who can provide you with an Academic Letter of Recommendation, and one person who can provide you a Non-Academic Letter of Recommendation.
How do I apply?
- Application Portal opens Dec. 1, 2023 — APPLY.
- Deadline to apply is APRIL1, 2024. Application and letters of recommendation must be submitted by the April 1 deadline. NOTE – DEADLINE WAS EXTENDED.
- All applicants will receive a letter stating the outcome of their application in May.
- Students will provide verification of enrollment once a scholarship award letter is received.
- Scholarship award checks will be sent directly to the medical school.
- Contact Williamsburg Community Foundation with questions: 757-259-1660, email@example.com.
Once submitted, scholarship applications will be kept on file at the Williamsburg Community Foundation for three years. The foundation will not share applicants’ personal information or use . Please contact us with any questions or concerns Williamsburg Community Foundation, 1323 Jamestown Road, Suite 103, Williamsburg, VA 23185.