Members of our community over 65 have opportunities to maintain their health and wellbeing.
What we envision:
- Greater Williamsburg will be an age friendly community where residents over 65 have access to services and programs that maintain or improve their quality of life.
- Organizations supporting senior citizens have the resources necessary to thrive and grow.
What we support:
- Programs and services that help older adults stay informed, healthy, and engaged.
- Programs that increase the capacity of local organizations to support senior citizens who wish to age in place.
- Respite care or support groups for families of those with Alzheimer’s or other disease that requires home care services.
What we measure:
- Number of residents served
- Number of residents who are able to stay in their homes due to services provided.
What we know:
What is an age-friendly world? (See World Health Organization)
It is a place that enables people of all ages to actively participate in community activities. It is a place that treats everyone with respect, regardless of their age. It is a place that makes it easy to stay connected to those around you and those you love. It is a place that helps people stay healthy and active even at the oldest ages. And it is a place that helps those who can no longer look after themselves to live with dignity and enjoyment.
Virginia Department of Social Services
(Local DSS Profile Report: data on social services clients and caseload, social services spending, staffing, population and poverty estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, unemployment rate, non-marital and teen births for each of the 120 local departments of social services (LDSS). Also includes statewide and regional data on some indicators.)
James City County Comprehensive Planning Website
(James City County is launching an ambitious effort to explore the vision for our community for the next 25 years.)
How to Contribute:- click here to contribute to the Community Fund for Senior Quality of Life or call us at 757-259-1660 for more information.