Grant Applications and Deadlines
Please submit a grant application, grant budget and any required attachments by the deadline indicated below.
|Community Endowment||Application available in October 2020||December 16, 2020|
|Altshuler Memorial Fund Transportation Grant||Closed|
|An Occasion for the Arts||Application available in October 2020||December 16, 2020|
|Fund for Women and Girls||Closed|
|Altshuler Amateur Sports Grant||Apply||September 27, 2020 (Midnight)|
|Genevieve McGiffert Fund for the Musical Performing Arts||Application available in October 2020||December 16, 2020|
- Read carefully the Grant Guidelines and Policies before completing the Grant Application and Budget Forms.
- Fill out the on-line application using the appropriate link above. Once you begin the online application, you can save and return to it as needed. Please do not start multiple applications.
- Download and fill out the Budget Form here.
- Both application and budget forms must be filled out completely for an applicant to be considered. For example, please review the Sample Budget Form and Sample Budget Narrative.
- If you are applying for more than one grant opportunity, please fill out a separate application and budget form for each grant.
- Applications must be completed by midnight on December 16, 2020.
- Only applications completed on-line will be accepted.
- Applications will not be accepted if the organization’s final grant report for a previous grant is overdue. Please contact us if you are unable to complete a previous grant program due to COVID-19.
We will be glad to answer any questions about the format or grant process, and we look forward to learning more about your ideas for enriching greater Williamsburg.
Call 757-259-1660 with questions prior to submitting your application.
The Foundation is interested in receiving applications from organizations that support a broad range of community enrichment opportunities and respond to changing community needs.
We have reframed our grant priorities to better reflect how our grant investments impact the community through five specific areas of interest: Arts & Culture, Children & Young Adults, Environment & Conservation, Health & Community Wellness, and Senior Services.
Funding Cycle and Grant Deadlines
The Williamsburg Community Foundation has two grant rounds, fall and spring. Awards are announced in April and October.
- Grants Available: Community Endowment Grants, Genevieve McGiffert Fund for the Musical Performing Arts, An Occasion for the Arts grants
- Application Available: October 2020
- Deadline: December 16, 2020
- Grants Awarded: March 2021
- Community Endowment, Williamsburg Fund for Women and Girls, Benjamin R. Altshuler Memorial Fund Transportation grants, and An Occasion for the Arts
- Application Available: Mid-May, 2021
- Deadline: June 17, 2021
- Grants Awarded: September 2021
- Altshuler Amateur Sports Grants
- Application Available: Mid-May, 2020
- Deadline: September 27, 2020
- Awards announced in December
Community Endowment Grants
- Support for a diverse range of philanthropic purposes including the arts, civic affairs, community development, conservation, cultural activities, education, historic preservation, social services and other fields that benefit citizens in its service area, which encompasses Williamsburg, James City County and York County.
- For the Fall 2020 Round only, past WCF competitive grant recipients that received a competitive grant in the last 3 years (2017-2019) are eligible to apply for operating support due to revenue loss and/or increased services provided as a result of COVID-19. All others may apply for regular program/capital grants.
- Grants up to $5,000
- For the Fall 2020 Round, organizations which have received past support for general transportation funding will be the highest priority for grant funding. Others may apply, but will be lower priority.
- Established by the Estate of Benjamin Altshuler to make transportation accessible and affordable enabling all residents of the area to participate in community life
- Supports programs which provide transportation including public transportation
- Preference for programs assisting low-income residents and those without ready access to a car
- Grants up to $5,000
- Note: Organizations are only eligible to receive three consecutive years of transportation funding. They must wait for at least a year before applying again. Call the WCF office (757-259-1660) if you have questions regarding eligibility. (WAITING PERIOD IS WAIVED FOR 2020)
- Established by An Occasion for the Arts.
- Supports programs in visual arts such as drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, print making, ceramics, jewelry making, metal crafting, wood working, and glasswork. Preference for programs with positive community impact.
- Grants up to $1,400
- Established by Stephanie and Bob King to support programs for women and girls in need in the greater Williamsburg area.
- Supports programs for women and girls
- Preference given to programs that assist low income women and girls
- Grants up to $1,000
- Provide financial assistance to amateur sports programs, with a preference for wrestling, but also in other athletic programs that are not readily available to the public (i.e. fencing, lacrosse, boxing, marksmanship, crew, etc.). Wrestling programs must be part of the Bay Rivers District, or private schools (nonprofits) within the service area of the Bay Rivers District.
- Funds may be used to support tuition assistance, scholarships to players, expenses for officials, and/or for equipment and uniforms. Funds may not be used to support hotel rooms, travel or coaches? salaries.
- Preference will be given to applications which support low to moderate income children and youth.
- Grants up to $5,000
- Established by Linda and Donald Baker and Michael McGiffert to support vocal performances for adults.
- Supports vocal music performances intended for a primarily adult audience
- Grants up to $1,600
- For Spring 2021 Grant Applicants: Previous recipients of McGiffert grants may apply for general operating support and funding for virtual performances or other educational events. WCF understands that the pandemic has caused some music organizations to lose revenue and move to virtual performances.
Applicants may apply for a Community Endowment grant and/or one of the others above. Generally, an organization will receive only one grant in a year.
Questions? Contact us.